If a resident is registered to vote but will be out of town on the day of the vote because of their occupation, business, vacation or studies, they can complete an absentee ballot application and vote absentee. These applications are available at the Reference desks at all four of our Library buildings.
The Smithtown Library has its own absentee voter application; we do not accept the Suffolk County Board of Elections absentee form.
We will not accept reproductions or copies of the absentee ballot applications.
You must indicate on the application whether you would like to receive your ballot in person, designate someone to pick it up for you, or have your ballot mailed.
Absentee applications returned by mail to the Community Relations Department at the Nesconset Branch must be postmarked no later than the seventh day before the vote (October 6th).
If it is AFTER October 6th, applications MUST be hand delivered to the Nesconset Branch, Community Relations Department, between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and will be accepted up to and including 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 9, 2015 (the last business day before the vote).
No absentee ballots will be given out after 5:00 pm on Friday, Oct. 9.
Once the official ballots are ready, all applicants will receive their ballot as indicated on the application. The deadline for all ballots to be returned is 5:00 p.m. on the day of the election.
- Suffolk Community College
- Smithtown High School
- Projector Manger - Alpine Software Inc. - 2007-Present
- 911 Disptacher -Smithtown Fire District - 2005-2009
- Event Planner - National Event Connection - 1999-2006
- 1st Assistant Chief - Nesconset Fire Department - Present
- 2nd Assistant Chief - Nesconset Fire Department - 2014
- 3rd Assistant Chief - Nesconset Fire Department - 2013-2013
My name is John Martins and I am seeking to be re-elected as Trustee of The Smithtown Library. I have been a resident of Nesconset for over 30 years. I have been a volunteer at the Nesconset Fire Department for the last 13 years and currently hold a position of 1st Assistant Chief. I am excited about the new changes happening at the Library and as an avid Library user, I would like to play an active role in the future of our Library district. I want to make sure the Library provides the best available materials and resources to its residents. I would also like to see the Library stay on the cutting edge of technology and programming that it provides to its residents of the Library district at all its locations. The Smithtown Library district is the largest on Long Island and the 11th largest in New York State. If elected, I will make sure we hold a tight line on the budget during these hard economic times while still providing outstanding service to the community.
- Married, 1 child
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Hofstra University - 1983
- President - Advanced Marketing Development - 1997 - present
- Northeast Sales Manager - North Hills Electronics - 1987- 1997
- Project Coordinator - General Electric Company - 1983 - 1987
- Smithtown Library Board of Trustee - 2013 - present
- American Marketing Association
My first priority is to advocate for library funding so that The Smithtown Library district can continue to provide top notch programs and services to the community. In addition, I would like to continue working with fellow trustees to improve and seek out the best library programs and to expand on our cultural and recreational offerings making The Smithtown Library district a premier community resource center.
- Reside in zip code 11725
- Reside in zip code 11788 and live SOUTH of Veterans Memorial Highway
- Reside in zip code 11787 and live WEST of Blydenburgh County Park, Caleb Smith State Park and Plymouth Boulevard
- Reside in zip code 11754 and 11768
- Resided in zip code 11787 and live NORTH of Route 25, Old Northport Road and Landing Road, WEST of Route 25A (St. Johnland Road) and EAST of Plymouth Boulevard
- Reside in zip code 11767 (Please note: those homeowners who reside in the Sachem School and Library District CANNOT vote in this election)
- Reside SOUTH of Route 25 from the Smithtown-Brookhaven Border to Southern Bouelvard
- Reside EAST of Southern Boulevard from Route 25 to Route 347-Nesconset Highway
- Reside SOUTH of Route 347-Nesconset Highway from Southern Boulevard to the Smithtown Greenbelt Town Park
- Reside EAST of the Smithtown Greenbelt Town Park from Route 347-Nesconset Highway to the Smithtown-Islip border
- Reside in zip code 11780 (Please note: those homeowners who reside in the Three Village Library District-Emma S. Clark Memorial Library CANNOT vote in this election)
- Reside in zip code 11788 and live SOUTH of Route 347-Nesconset Highway
- Reside in zip code 11787 and live EAST of Blydenburgh County Park, Caleb Smith State Park and Route 25A (St. Johnland Road) and SOUTH of Landing Road