A valid library card is needed to borrow library materials. A Juvenile Card is issued through the sixth grade. An Adult Card is issued starting in the seventh grade. Proper identification is required. All cards must be renewed annually. Adult applicants must show proof of residence within the Smithtown Special Library District in order to qualify for a Smithtown Library card. Initial application and subsequent renewal must be done in person. The burden of proof lies with the applicant.
Proof of Residence
Adult applicants must show one (1) of the following which MUST include your name and current street address :
- Current driver's license
- Non-driver photo identification
- Photo identification with name and address
- Current automobile registration
- Current voter registration post card
- Utility bill (dated within 60 days)
- Major credit card bill, e.g., department store, bank card
- Current bank statement
- Current deed or tax bill
If you do not have any of these with street address (e.g., if one rents and does not receive bills), the adult applicant must submit ALL of the following :
- A notarized statement from the homeowner stating that you are residing at their residence.
- A current bill in the homeowner's name indicating the address of the residence.
- Identification with your name, e.g., school ID, credit card.
- Rent receipt with the address stamped on it.
Click HERE to confirm your home library district.
Temporary Library Card
To get a temporary library card click here.
Once you created a temporary record online you must come in to the Library to complete the registration.
Always bring your library card with you when you come to the library. Your library card is like a credit card -- if it is lost or stolen, please notify the library at once. There is a $1.00 fee for replacement library cards. You are responsible for all materials checked out on your card.