As a PTRC, The Smithtown Library offers:
• Free access to patent and trademark documents in various formats.
• Access to the PubWest database for patent searching.
• Access to the PubEast database for patent searching.
• Acces to Plant Patents in hardcopy format.
• Resources for historical patent research.
• Patent searching guides and other reference materials on intellectual property.
• USPTO-trained staff.
General Information Concerning Patents this guide from the USPTO explains what a patent is and how to get one.
Conducting a Patent Search a 50-minute presentation from the USPTO, explaining how to conduct a patent search and why it is important to be thorough. [Flash is required.]
Here's a shortcut to the USPTO's search page, where you can search patents from 1790-present and published applications from 2001-present. Google Patents can be another place to start.
Looking for an attorney? Click here to search for attorneys and patent agents who are registered to practice before the United States Patent Office.
Trademark Information Network the USPTO has created a series of newscast-style videos to help you understand trademarks. Check them out!
Overview of Trademark Law this overview from the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University included links to United States Codes as well as case studies.
Espacenet, search patent documents worldwide from over 72 countries and regions.
WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) Intellectual Property Digital Library, search international trademark registrations (Madrid system), international patent applications (PCT), and other databases; access guides, standards, laws, regulations, fees, statistics, FAQs, links, and more.