Holds & Renewals
You can place a hold in order to reserve material in our online catalog. Just click the "Request" button for an item when searching online.
- Items that can be placed on hold include books, magazines, Library of Things items, kits and audiovisual material.
- Reference materials and some select kits cannot be placed on hold.
- Museum passes have special rules and dates for reserving.
We will notify you when your hold items are available.
For circulating Smithtown Library materials, items will automatically renew unless there are holds (reserves).
- 7-day material may be renewed up to 6 times for 7 days each
- 14-day material may be renewed up to 6 times for 14 days each
- 28-day material may be renewed up to 6 times for 28 days each
- Library of Things items may be renewed 1 time.
- Children's Storytime Kits may be renewed 1 time for Smithtown residents. Children's Storytime Kits cannot be renewed by patrons outside the Smithtown Special Library District.
- Book Club Kits and Blood Pressure Kits cannot be renewed.
Please note: materials will not renew if you have outstanding fines more than $5.00 or your library card is expired.